What is medical malpractice insurance?
As a health professional, you help people every day who have health challenges and need your help. Unfortunately, even with your years of education and experience, it’s possible for you to make a mistake. If an error – real or perceived – ever results in a lawsuit, it can have severe effects on your ability to practice medicine. One of the best ways to protect yourself is by getting an adequate medical malpractice insurance policy in place.
The Speakman Agency will provide professional assistance to help you identify your risks and the best coverage to meet your needs. We will help you compare medical malpractice insurance quotes from several insurance providers and identify the plan that meets your needs and budget. Contact us today and let us help you evaluate your needs.
What does medical malpractice insurance cover?
This form of insurance will cover your legal liability as a health practitioner and will protect you in two important ways. First, it will pay for your legal defense, which is provided through your insurance company. It will also pay the costs of legal settlements, up to the limits set on your policy.
Malpractice suits can be very expensive, so it’s important to find an excellent medical malpractice insurance company that can provide full protection. In addition to assisting with a lawsuit, your insurance policy can help cover the costs of conduct reviews by peer panels. If your peer review decision causes a loss of income, your malpractice insurance could then step in to help provide compensation.
- Some healthcare professionals may assume that since they work in an office environment, the company’s liability policy can handle any malpractice claims. Unfortunately, there can be serious gaps in your employer’s coverage that may leave you responsible for a large majority of costs associated with a malpractice lawsuit. Some employer liability policies will have certain exclusions that you may not know about.
- Although your employer’s liability policy is meant to protect employees in some instances, if there is a conflict of interest, you could be left to your own devices. When you purchase your own insurance policy and work with personal medical malpractice insurance carriers, you know exactly how you’re protected.
Who needs medical malpractice insurance?
Many different people involved in the health profession need the protection of malpractice insurance. This includes:
- Practicing physicians and surgeons
- Independent health professionals including naturopathic doctors
- Any medical facility
- Hospital and medical clinics
- Med-spas, skin clinics
- Plastic surgery centers
- Weight loss clinics
- Healthcare groups and HMOs
- Dentists and orthodontists